Another riverine squadron announced

leesea
This post was updated on .
According to the Navy Times article in th link below, the Navy is going to stand-up a fourth riverine squadron.  It is reported that this will be a naval reserve unit.  Notice how the existing squadron dets have been redeployed inside Iraq.  The boats are typically taken out of water and trailered to a new location.  I do not know if that scenario will continue in Basra?

You can pretty much guess where the new riverines will go.  I think we will be seeing more riverines on station offshore
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/10/navy_riverine_101709w/

In-demand riverines may add 4th squadron

By Andrew Scutro - Staff writer

Top Navy leaders hope to add a fourth riverine squadron in the coming years, which would be the first major expansion for the force created almost four years ago.

“You may in the future see an increase in riverine capability,” Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Gary Roughead told Navy Times during an Oct. 13 interview.

He said the commitment to maintain one squadron in Iraq that began in spring 2007 keeps the force from more engagement with other navies.

“I’ve tried to do some training with some international partners, [but] we don’t have the flexibility or the capacity to do that sort of thing,” he said. “So I am looking to bump it up a little bit.”

The Navy reclaimed the riverine mission from the Marine Corps following the 2006 Quadrennial Defense Review. Marines had been operating small-boat forces in Iraq before the decision.

Today, the Navy operates three squadrons of about 225 sailors and 12 boats each. They are overseen by Riverine Group 1, based at Little Creek, Va.

Capt. Anthony Krueger, the group’s commodore, confirmed that the force is expecting to grow.

“As part of QDR [2010] and in talks inside the Pentagon, there is discussion of, should we have a fourth riverine squadron,” he said.

All three squadrons have deployed to Iraq. Squadron 1 has been there twice, Squadron 2 is on its second tour and Squadron 3 is preparing to make its second trip.

Krueger said there are no plans to change the rotation schedule. But regardless of whether tours in Iraq continue, Krueger said the demand for the units from combatant commanders remains constant.

“I don’t think we’ll be lacking for work post-Iraq,” he said.

Krueger said sailors from the riverine group and Naval Special Warfare Group 4, which runs its own boat units, are developing a training and capability plan for the Mexican navy. Likewise, riverine forces are scheduled to go to the western Pacific to train with counterparts from Thailand, Singapore, Brunei and the Philippines for an upcoming exercise.

“That will be our entry into that theater,” Krueger said.

The deployed riverines, which had been operating mostly on the Euphrates River above and below the Hadithah Dam in western Iraq, have moved to the area around Basra in the south after turning over the patrol mission in Anbar province to Iraqi forces.

Riverine Squadron 2, which is still in Iraq, made the move south at the end of the summer. It had been working with Anbar province-based Marines, and now will operate with Army units in the area. Right now, that includes elements of the Minnesota National Guard’s 34th Infantry Division.

“We’re essentially working for the Army now,” he said.

Krueger said the riverine units operate in the Shatt-al-Arab, the waterway that separates Iraq from Iran. He would not elaborate on the types of missions they conduct.

In June 2004, eight British sailors operating on small boats in the Shatt-al-Arab were captured by Iranian forces after being accused of crossing out of Iraqi waters. The sailors were released.

Krueger said the relocation was not related to the withdrawal of British forces from the area earlier this year.

“That was just one of those coincidences in timing,” he said.

With the U.S. expected to pull most of its troops out of the country, the riverines are focused on turning over their missions to Iraqis. Krueger said the sailors work closely with the coastal border guard units and riverine security police.

“The biggest challenge right now has been our shift in operational areas in Iraq.”

One riverine craft was recently destroyed by a roadside bomb while being towed. No one was injured."
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: Another riverine squadron announced

leesea
NOW lets see how much funding our new riverines will get? And if they get new boats.  They have been around long enough now to be in the base budget aka Where's the beef?

By Lance M. Bacon - Staff writer
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – The Navy plans to increase its riverine force, Rear Adm. Carol Pottenger, commander of Navy Expeditionary Combat Command, told hundreds of military and industry leaders Tuesday at the fourth annual Naval Expeditionary Forces Symposium and Expo.

The increase, which is included in the Quadrennial Defense Review, would boost the force from three to four squadrons. Each squadron has 224 sailors and officers. Pottenger said she would expect to see the manning boost in fiscal 2011, but said the specific ways the sailors would be used is under review.

Though the riverine force represents only 2.5 percent of NECC’s operating forces, it remains in high demand. It is exclusively used in Iraq, where it provides maritime security and interdiction along 3,700 miles of brown and green waterways, and has trained 778 Iraqi security forces personnel to do the same. The squadrons have conducted 2,300 missions in the past 2½ years. Typically, one squadron is deployed while one prepares for deployment and another stands down from deployment.

Though the planned withdrawal from Iraq will bring this mission to a close, all other combatant commanders already have standing requests with the riverine force to meet needs in their respective regions, Pottenger said.
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: Another riverine squadron announced

DeltaSix
Can't get anywhere if they dont know where they are going.Someone locked in a room shoulda been working on a plan the minute they took over the assets from the Marines.

Re: Another riverine squadron announced

Seafox
 This sounds good, but are they getting BOATS to go with that new Squadron???
how many Boats to a Squadron??? What Type Boats will they Get??

Re: Another riverine squadron announced

leesea
Part and particle of the announcement above that there woulld be a fourth RivRon is funding.   One would have to research the OM&N and the SCN budget books to find the fund line.  I would assume the bucks are there for the fourth?
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP