Quantcast

EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

Seafox
PBR MKIIs in Thailand's Navy

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

Seafox
Thai PBR MKIIs

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

Rob1966
They have some MKII PBRs in Columbia also. I miss those boats, they were fun to drive. I know I'm biased, but I think the Navy should bring them back for riverine operations. Yes the boat is slow compared to the newer ones, but 20-25 knots going up a small river with river banks only a few inches off both sides is pretty fast. Besides, I haven't seen anything on the new generation of riverine boats that could match what the PBR had for fire power.

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

Delta Six
I agree Rob! Put lighter, Volvo Penta's in place of the 6V-53's, turbo them up and replace the Jacuzzi's with Hamilton's. It will lighten the PBR's up by a couple of thosand LB's and they will get to about 35kts I would guess.
  I think the PBR's big problem is it's size for Air transpot. If you can recall, it takes a C-5 to do it. It is a good permanent asset but in todays world of short term deployments, they aint happening. They probably could have used them for 4 years in Iraq though.

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

Seafox

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

Seafox

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

Seafox
PANAMA PBMK IV

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

leesea
Seafox great photo catches
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

Seafox

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

Seafox

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

Seafox
Panama's losses

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

Seafox
USN MUDSU-2 divers this week help raise two Panama' PB MK IVs

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

RIVERRATSBU26
THOSE ARE SAD PHOTOS THE FIRST PHOTO IS PB 843(GRAY AND BLACK CAMO), THE OTHER TWO PHOTOS ARE OF PB 841 AND PB 842. I WENT DOWN WITH MY FAMILY TO VISIT THREE YEARS AGO AND PB 842 WAS IN THE BOAT YARD AT AMADOR HAVING THE HULL REPAIRED

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

RIVERRATSBU26
NOW THAT I LOOK AT THE LAST PHOTO, THAT IS THE STARBOARD SIDE OF PB 842 THAT THE GUYS FROM MUDSU 2 ARE SURVEYING AT LOW TIDE. BY THE WAY, THE SPOT THIS PHOTO IS TAKEN AT IS ONLY ABOUT 100 YARDS FROM THE OLD HPU BOATHOUSE(LATER IT BECAME PORT OPS FOR N.S. RODMAN)!
MY BEST REGARDS TO ALL THE DIRTY BOAT GUYS!
TED

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

RIVERRATSBU26
P.S. THOSE CAMO SCHEMES WERE DESIGNED AND PAINTED BY THE CREWS OF THE BOATS WHILE THEY WERE ASSIGNED TO SBU-26. SBU-20 MKV DET 1(CHARLIE TURNER, MAX PRICE, JOHN RAYMOND, TONY QUATRO, STEVE "TROOP" JOHNSON, SCOTT SAWYER, ETC.)CAME DOWN TO US WITH MKVSOC 951 AND 952, AROUND WINTER 1994-1995, AND THEIR BOATS WERE PAINTED IN A SIMILAR CAMO SCHEME AT THE TIME.
WELL OUR GUYS IN THE PB'S AT THAT TIME(MIKE "THE ARTIST" KOHL, STEVE BABB, ROB REAHUME, BRAD PALHKE, JOHN "MAGYVER"/ "OH HAPPY DAY" BAUER , MALCOM DEMMING, MARCUS RIVCHIN, BROADHURST, AND ALL THE REST) ALL AGREED THAT THEY LIKED THE CAMO SCHEME ON THE MKV'S AND WANTED TO PAINT THEIR MKlV BOATS THE SAME WAY. SO THEY ASKED THEIR COASTAL DET OIC: ENC(SEAL/CC) JIM GRINDSTAFF, HE THOUGHT IT WAS COOL, THEN HE ASKED THE CO AND HE APPROVED.
YES, THE PAINT IN THE PHOTOS YOU ARE LOOKING AT ABOVE, WAS PAINTED BY THEM IN SPRING 1995. IT WAS NEVER RETOUCHED OR DUPLICATED/REPAINTED, WHEN I SAW 842 AT AMADOR 3 YEARS AGO, I COULD SEE BY THE WEATHERING AND WEAR, IT WAS DEFINITELY THE ORIGINAL PAINT(YOU CAN SEE THE WAY THEY ORIGINALLY LOOKED IN SOME OF THE PHOTOS IN THE SBU-26 SECTION OF THIS WEBSITE).

BUENO SUERTE MI HERMANOS!

Re: EX USN COMBATANT CRAFT serving in Other Countries

Jim Grindstaff
As I recall, Shawn Mustard came up with the idea. The wizards (sarcasm intended) on Ancon Hill had been carping about painting the PBs for a long time. There was no real reason to paint them, but the Army brass likes to make work for people.
You listed some great guys--it was a pleasure to serve with them.