GAU-19/A

Seafox

Re: GAU-19/A

Seafox
 GAU-19/A

50cal
1,000 to 2,000 rds per minute
Requires 24vdc power supply

anybody using it?? looking at it???
what are the disadvantages???? (besides  needing a HUGE ammo storage area/box)

Re: GAU-19/A

DeltaSix
  Looks like it will hold about 500rnds from the pic. Crew served to be sure. The secret of succes for boat guys has always been one gun, one guy. >50 rnds are heavy. Especially when you load them up belted. Not bad when the MK56 was around. It held 500 rnds per gun. The rate of fire was very controlable. Not sure this would be a real advantage unless there was an ability to hold say, 1500 rnds.
  If you recall, the MK38 25mm had about a 150 rnd capacity which was a bitch to load but firing semi auto was the wayto go, making it controlable. The rate for full auto, if ya had the ass to handle it, wasnt that fast as I recall.
  As with the MK38, it was a permanently mounted weapon that require constant PMS in the marine environment. Looks like the same issue with this weapon. I am not fooled by the herculite flaps. Those things will hold in humidity as the cover for the 25mm could do.
  With all this being said, I'm a KISS principal kinda guy. I will take reliability over rate of fire, anytime. I will take ease of maintenance over a worrisome weapon you have to sweat over.
   Since it has been stated that the power source is 24VDC, I am sure that the batteries are charged by either the boats generator or main engines.  this would tell me that if chosen as a boat weapon, it would likely be on a coastal boat like the CB90. If this is the case, it would best be employed in an enclosed turrent, perhaps atop the pilothouse. Providing protection for the electrical componenets and offereing the possibility of a drive system for travese and elevation, either mechanical or electrical.
   The primary advantage in this weapon is that is .50 cal. Other weapons on the boat will surely be partially .50 cal. as well. This just makes good logistical sense.  For that matter, I would support an updated version of the MK56. Tried and true. The only update would be to disgard the solenoid, linkage and hand crank traversing systems. They were usless systems. Sure you sacrifice on barrel and rate of fire, but how fast does a .50 gotta be? Shock factor or boys with toys. Either way, the MK56 was a simple, highly effective system. technology looks cool from a chair behind a desk, in a squadron office, but them guys aint gotta clean and maintain the toys now do they? There is a reason the M2 HB has been around since 1917. there is no match to its ballistic impact/ease of maintenance combination.

But I'm a Quartermaster....what do I know?

Re: GAU-19/A

Seafox
This post was updated on .
 Got a good head on your shoulders D-6  and pretty much agree with all that you stated.
I was always taught the Gun is only as good as the gunner. and Maintence and PMS is a big part of it in the wet world of Boats. when You add electricty to the weapon it gets more intensive....but not a show stopper.

The GAU-17 7.62mm Mini Gun has been used on NSW boats as early as Vietnam, and even SBU-26 mounted on on a PBL aft for testing purposes.Now the GAU-17 is  standard  on NSW SOCR
  Again the Gun is only as good as the Gunner with the really High rate of fire. The Gunner has to shoot in short squirts (bursts) for two reasons: accuracy and trying not to run out of ammo..
Modern Multi Barrel Galtlin type guns are Slow loading and to run out of ammo in a firefight is a sick feeling when someone is shooting at you.
 So This is one of the Big Considerations for a 50Cal 1000rpm+ gun.
Big heavy ammo is a Bear to Load....Ammo Capasity I feel a Huge factor in the adoption of the weapon.
a 500 rd box isn't going to do it accouple squirts and game over. GAU-19 needs a bigger ammo capacity.

Now on the Plus side a 50cal round is a hard hitting Big Bullet. on range and stopping power, and can definately chop up boats , Trees and earthen bunkers, houses and the list goes on and on. Its a Good Caliber for Boats in both Coastal and Riverine environments.

I think the GAU-19 should be looked at By the Riverines for use on their larger craft like the RBC C-90.
I would think the Isrealis  might find a use for it on their Super Divoras
Americans currently think a boat  shouldn't slug it out and weapons are defensive in nature.
We used to do Waterborne Guard Post (ambush) but don't know if hey do that anymore.
The Isrealis and Sri Lankans use boats offensively in their operations. Possibly a Bigger punch is welcome there.

Re: GAU-19/A

Seafox

Re: GAU-19/A

Seafox

Re: GAU-19/A

Seafox

Re: GAU-19/A

DeltaSix
  Sidenote:   It scares me to see SBU-26 photos in B&W man. Stop doin that!

Re: GAU-19/A

Seafox
D-6 nobody living escapes Father Time......Next photo a lighter weight Gun mount for GA19 might be more practicle for Boats...

Re: GAU-19/A

Seafox

Re: GAU-19/A

Seafox

Re: GAU-19/A

Seafox
GAU 17A Note the red hot barrels

Re: GAU-19/A

Delta Six
Is this system dead or are they still farting around with it?

As far as the MK56 goes heres the dope on how I used it....

The linkage - Not practical from a maintenance standpoit. I prefered disconnecting it from the modified trigger assembly and pulling the triggers myself. However, If your down to one hand, I could see the value in being able to double your pleasure still with one squeeze. For those who have not actually fired the MK56, one handed operation is totally plausibly because the rush of 2 .50's jacking back and forth right on either side of your head will at least make you consider grabbing your dick with the free hand. It's just that good!

The Traversing System - Seems like a waste but not really. during firing, just pushing the mount left and right by leaning into it with your shoulder is waaaayyyy quicker to be sure. however its kinda noisy. when your snooping around tho, cranking it by hand is quieter and on the princilpe of keeping your weapon on the same target as your eyes, slowing down your scanning is not a bad thing.

The Solenoid System - Junk it, we did at HPU. Nice in theory but bad in execution. My bateries got better things to do that power that weak shit.

Re: GAU-19/A

Seafox
 One year Later foreigin Navies  are running with it