I hate it when I'm right all the time....

I hate it when I'm right all the time....

Delta Six
Check out the story in military.com :  Riverine Force Trains for Uncertain Future. Luckily, SOCCOM was smart enough to slip SWCC billets in there so, there may be some hope for a future under that command.

Re: I hate it when I'm right all the time....

leesea
Well you may not be right?    aka don' believe all you read in newspapers or online.

The Riverines are deploying to more AOs and according to their leaders are being requested more often.  They are performing missions given up by NSW for various reasons and beyond what NSW does because that is what expected on NECC units.

I wondered IF the new riverines are combat or combat-support units?  Here are some comments in reply to me about the cited article by a Capt who knows about the Riverines:

"Gamewardens were riverine warfighters injected into a no-kidding on-going COIN shooting war, which also required them to do population and resources control (actually their main job), civic action, and Psyops. There were no other US Navy riverine missions globally, combat or non-combat.

Today's Riverines serve a gov't that's not planning on having any on-going shooting wars, but wants a military forward presence force all around the world, to do a variety of security jobs, including maritime security and training/exercising for same.  The Riverines are most certainly not considered combat support troops -- nor are the DDG and Gators and CG sailors who do similar work forward around the world.

Maritime security missions were what the USN mostly did in the 19th century, and re-joined the Navy's operational mission set after the Cold War ended and have been going strong ever since.  E.g.: Few in the Navy knew how to do VBSS during the Cold War.  Most know how to do it now (and did before World War II)-- and do it periodically in real-world ops.

Now, this could all change.  We could get bore-sighted on the Chinese threat and return to a Cold War-ish stance and drop Maritime Security missions except as a side-show.  But we're not there yet.

My bottom line: If the Riverines are just warfighters, and we're not planning on any riverine wars, they'll disappear (as happened after the Civil War, and after Vietnam).  If they can do forward global maritime security ops -- which they can -- they might have a future."

Wise words!

LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: I hate it when I'm right all the time....

Delta Six
True Dat! I'm just wondering, with tightening budgetsand all, how long these guys can survive. Frankly, it would be a shame if the went away. Perhaps the only way they could survive is if they get absorbed into SOCOM.  Lord knows thats what saved patrol boats after Vietnam.

Re: I hate it when I'm right all the time....

leesea
The point is that NECC boat units like RivRons and MSF Rons do not do SOCOM/NSW type missions.  Check out the N851 ppt I sent along.  Both the NSW and NECC are being resourced by the same code.  Meaning one man has the purse strings for both. I believe he isa SEAL?

There has been another suggeestion that all "expeditionary naval forces" be put under one four star.  The list include amphibs, NECC, LCS and others.  Kind of a screwy idea if you ask me?

So I think we will continue to see NECC and specifically RivRons remain the same (undersized)?
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP