New Escort Vessel for the U.S. Navy

leesea
Subject: Maritime News - New Escort Vessel for the U.S. Navy

Goto the below link for original article:
http://marinelink.com/en-US/News/Article/New-Escort-Vessel-for-the-U-S-Navy/330867.aspx

Boy where did this come from?  I was on one of the Navy's first HVT escort boats - a 32 foot Glacier Bay catamaran (it had a 2 pintles for up to .50 cal).  The MSC is currently chartering HOS OSVs for the mission.  I like this iteration.  Any new boat for Coasties should be good, but my guess is this is NAVSEA procured?  There was nothing about it on CG-9 website.   At least its from a good boat builder.  I have requested more info for Warboats posting.

Lee

USCG Escort boat

New Escort Vessel for the U.S. Navy

After 54 years of building only commercial vessels, Gladding-Hearn Shipbuilding, Duclos Corporation, has delivered its first high-speed patrol boat for the federal government.  The 64-foot screening escort vessel, with the mission of securing high-value Naval assets, will be operated by the U.S. Coast Guard.

The all-aluminum boat features a C. Raymond-Hunt-designed deep-V hull, with a CPI Marine fender system, and is powered by twin MTU diesel engines and connected to Hamilton water-jets.  Top speed is over 30 knots.

The pilothouse on a flush deck, with forward-leaning front windows, leads to the forecastle, equipped with a head, galley, berths, and lockers.  Recessed rescue platforms are located port and starboard at the vessel's mid-ship.  On the foredeck is a gun mount.

The interior is outfitted with Shockwave heavy-duty suspension seats, shock-absorbing floor matting, and a heating and air-conditioning system.  Equipment includes integrated navigation systems and crew communications radio and imaging systems.
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: New Escort Vessel for the U.S. Navy

DeltaSix
   Would you agree that the Navy continues to reinvent the wheel? I always though that a PCF did a fine job of escorting thru the Panama Canal. Truthfully, I've never seen such a wate of money. If your'e cold, put on a coat. If hot, open the window. Less display of firepower on a longer boat? Can't see where this is a good thing. The ability to intimidate while perfoming escort duties is half the battle. Looks more like a resue boat is the primary function of that vessel.

Re: New Escort Vessel for the U.S. Navy

leesea
D6, I think this is a good boat for the USCG.  Big enough to go offshore and still be stable.   I believe she will be working out of Kings Bay where the USCG/USN have a unique security partnership going on.

 The weapons are almost after-thougths?  The boat looks to be a version of an existing design, so not so much reinventling the wheel as using COTS to buy a boat might save some bucks?

DeltaSix
  If it is going to actually be a CG boat and they will perform the duties, then perhaps it is a  good, multi-mission platform. The CG, in most folks mind, is a Search and Rescue organization first and foremost. If it is to be thiers, then  saving a few bucks would go a long way.

Yes it is a USCG crewed boat it was just bought with Navy funds.  The USCG did a right turn after 9/11 and now homeland security is about 60% of their missions.
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: New Escort Vessel for the U.S. Navy

USCG1968@Comcast.net
An avid fan of Gladding-Hearn it is with much pleasure that the USCG finally has a well designed vessel. Anybody knows what the makeup of the crew on these new boats? I figured it will have a BMC as OIC, a BM-1, MK-1, SN, and FN. However this is just my guess. Anybody know in New York will have one of these wonderful vessels.
Just a little bit of history. The old USCG 327’s was built based on the Erie and Charleston naval gunboat.

Re: New Escort Vessel for the U.S. Navy - total of 12

leesea
More news from Professional Mariner about this boat here:

http://professionalmariner.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=420C4D38DC9C4E3A903315CDDC65AD72&nm=Archives&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=17D0311A8E51421AABB61A99D1DD233B

"Gladding-Hearn Shipbuilding, Duclos Corp., is constructing a dozen screening escort vessels for the U.S. Navy."

"On the screening escort boat, two Hamilton waterjets are powered by a pair of MTU 10-cylinder patrol-boat-rated engines. Top speed of the boat is over 30 knots, while maintaining precise maneuvering characteristics in any direction at the command of a three-axis joystick. "

"Duclos said the government may be considering other future military applications for the 70-foot deep-V monohulls — including drug interdiction and anti-piracy operations. "

IVO that last, I wonder if any of these boats will end up in the hands of sailors?  Seems like a good design for offshore work of MES rons?

LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP