New Faces at the RivRons

Dick
All Rons just got a SBCS to lead their training department. There is a rumor going around that Ron 4 will have SB senior enlisted and that only E-6 and below will be from the fleet. Any thoughts? good for the Rons and bad for SWCC or is it the other way around?

Re: New Faces at the RivRons

Seafox
I don't think its a bad thing, means more billets for SWCC. and cross pollenization of boatguys is never a bad idea. You learn from each other, and the Riverines  will have a Boatguy who whole career has been Combatant craft.
I imagine this is a result of Capt Evin Thompson SEAL who used to be Commadore of NSWG-4 and Now a Branch Head in NEEC N85.
Time will tell if it works.
What are the Riverines thinking about it??

Re: New Faces at the RivRons

Delta Six
....and so it begins. Time to start asking the 5 Why's.

Why is this occuring? Seafox may have answered that.

2. Why is a SEAL in Branch head at NECC? A deficiancy in training? An attempt to grow the Special Warfare community? the door has been cracked open.

3. Why are senior enlisteds to be all SpecWar type? Notice I didn't say SWCC. My guess is, this is billets for SEAL's more than SWCC. This would be a shame, but a fact none the less.

Why is Spec War interested in this? Billets as mentioned. SWCC Wants a CCM or SWCM. The RCB seems to fit that to a tee. Since funding has been sketchy....well, I'll let you take it from there. Employment seems to be an issue for both SWCC and the Riverines, now that Iraq is out of the picture. Finally, Money. The more assets and mission you have, the more money you can justify asking for.  Flow the money. It's the same story everywhere. In the Nav or in the World.  Saving jobs is what is interesting SpecWar here.

  Thats the facts, here's the opinion.....The eventual absorbtion will benefit the Riverine program in general through better training and having thier mission defined. It seems as if the regular Navy doesnt know whether to shit or go blind on how to use these guys or if they are, they are shifting priorities. Close-looping would certainly benefit the unit as we all know from the old SBU days. A guy gets good, then he's back to the Fleet. Few went back for a second tour, like I did because for most rates at the time, it was a career-killer.
  The downside is, the Navy will loose sole control of its only real Combat Craft component. I may take some heat here, but I dont consider security boats, LCAC's, and convnetional landing craft Combat Craft in the classic sense. They are police or taxi's. They are not by nature, Offensive. I will say they are neccasary though.
   If SpecWar absorbs the Riverines, Good on ya Mates and Shame on you Navy!

Re: New Faces at the RivRons

leesea
I don't see most of this with the significance you guys do.  The Navy has always cross-assigned sailors with different specialties in other units.   Putting SBOs into training billets make sense especially IF the RivRons have not got those sailors.

The question I would ask is why are SWCCs filling in EXW billets are there NOT enough for career development in NSW units?

There is no real connection between personnel assignment and boat procurement  CCD or SOCOM does the later separately.

LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: New Faces at the RivRons

Seafox
Leesea, If you read my comment again you see that I pretty much said what you said.
I don't think the D-6 and others saw the presentation mentioned.
 As far as SWCC Billets at Riverine means more SWCC growth.

Re: New Faces at the RivRons

Delta Six
  I remember SPECWAR coming down and basically, taking over Harbor Patrol unit in Panama and thier assets. The reason was, Specwar didnt have a real interest in the AO until HPU started FIDs in the area. Not that SBU-26 wasnt a better unit to be in, it was in many ways. Most in fact. It is just something that happens when one group decides there is a turf war. So, to say that SOCOM/NAVSPECWAR cannot, will not or has not done, is not entirely true.
  I would agree, there is probably not as much upward mobility in SBT's as was expected. That was the reason I got from MCPON Plackett when is spoke to him on a visit during Earnest Will in 87. No defined career path, is what he said.