Quantcast

Outboard Motor Boat for Squad Operations Vietnam 1967

Outboard Motor Boat for Squad Operations Vietnam 1967

William(Bill) Nimmo
I am trying to find information on boats used by the Marines and/or the Navy to carry squads up rivers during operations.  I was an infantryman assigned to a Special Landing Force for conducting helicopter and amphibious operations from helicopter carriers and landing ship docks into Vietnam.   I was sent, along with 20some other men to the Philippines(Subic Bay) to learn how to operate 18 foot boats designed to carry a marine squad up a river in an operation.  these boats were like a ski boat without any interior - just a shell.   we had a 40 horse outboard operated by a handle(no steering wheel).  we operated in boat teams of 3.    when we would go up rivers, boat one would go up and pull to the side.  boat two would then go up river and sit on the opposite side of the river.  boat three would go up past the other two boats and do the same thing.  this was the way we were to carry 2 or 3 squads safely up river.    we were supposedly going to the Mekong delta on an operation.    it never happened - we went into I Corps.    Has anyone ever heard about these boats.  would love to hear.  it was a great two weeks of training.   this would have been on an amphibious ready group(navy) and we were first battalion , 4th marines.   thanks bill nimmo

Re: Outboard Motor Boat for Squad Operations Vietnam 1967

Harry Arends
I ran the outboard shop at BSU1-CRS1 from 1971-1972 and most likely were Boston Whalers with 40hp Johnson Tiller motors. They were used for a lot of different operations.
Hope this helps.
Harry