Riverines on Chopping Block?

Seafox
Just Read in Navy Times this week The RivRons and MSRONs being Considered for Decom
as part of the UpComing Cuts
Any Riverines Heard anything?
What happens to the Boats?

Re: NECC reorganization affects MES and Riv rons

leesea
Notice I changed the subject line because damn saying things like chopping block are misleading.  The whole Navy will have its force structure reduced.

Here is what an inside source said is and might happen:

RivRon4 is gone = True, kind of...the billets authorized will be absorbed into the new reorganized MESF.

I suspect the other three RivRons will be merged into MESrons = True,

Both type RON's now are about 250 sailors. The merged RON's will be 500 and there will be no loss of mission coverage to the existing forces.  It would appear there will be and should be a reduction of a Command staffs as well.  Still not official as yet.

Two Reserve SQDN's are probably going away.  Guam may go from POM 12 since it was never a full RON anyway.
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: NECC reorganization affects MES and Riv rons

leesea
I just heard that by August of next year the MES rons and RivRons will be merged.   That is something I heard about first from RADM Bullard, the first COMNECC.  So no real big surprise.

Between now and then, the whole Navy will be taking funding cuts so more can come of that.   See next post about a current exercise.
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: NECC reorganization affects MES and Riv rons

Seafox
MSRON5 Decomissioned Oct 2011