SBU-26 Training Death

Crawdad
I'm trying to get the name of a young black kid who was trying to get 2nd class swimmer qualed in Panama.  George Angerer and Steve Seigel gave him a shot at helo cast and recovery.   He actually drowned on the surface of the water with his life-jacket inflated. Would have been 1990-91 timeframe.

Hooyah!
Don Crawford

Re: SBU-26 Training Death

Crawdad
His name was ET2 Leroy Davis.  He drowned doing helo ops on Gatun Lake.  He was working in the SBU-26 Trng Office at the time.  He was extremely smart and a model sailor.  They took him out on the training as a good deal and it ended tragically.   He checked on board in Nov. 1992 and this happened in early 1993.
Rob

Re: SBU-26 Training Death

Rob
I was there when that happened and was on watch on the QD when the call came in. It was a shame, he is buried in Alabama.

Re: SBU-26 Training Death

Ed Anderson
I was the cast master and cried many nights thinking about it.  I have thought it through a million times of what I could have done different....It still haunts me today.