Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

12345

Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

leesea
http://www.safeboats.com/default/media_gallery.php?id=1

Here is a real warboat being bought by USN and named RCB Riverine Command Boat.  A proven design.  Notice installed weapons.   Stoner loves the RWS on top.  A troop carrier also.  Good for greenwater maybe more so than brown?

Lee

The Swedish shipbuilder DOCKSTAVARVET developed the Combat Boat 90 in conjunction with the Swedish Navy. Over 225 boats have already been supplied to multiple countries worldwide. The CB-90 is constructed of aluminum and designed to operate as a fast attack boat, patrol boat and special operations support vessel. Heavy machine guns are mounted in fixed installations or stabilized and remotely controlled from a monitor in the wheelhouse. The boat can also carry mines, or Hellfire missiles, or a gyro-stabilized 120 mm mortar.  The innovative drop bow system allows for easy troop deployment or the rapid extraction of injured personnel.
CB-90 uw
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

DeltaSix
  Only problem with this boat, is rapid mobility. It's size, more appropriately, the size of its transpot will severely limit the places this boat can go. Even if it is trailerable, which I doubt, finding a ramp to launch it in some areas will be impossible due to its weight. I have experianced paying a local buldozer operator to create a ramp in the river bank to allow us to launch. but that was only 10k lb package.
   I think that NECC needs to think out of the box a little here. If they want to continue to exsist, then they have to think futher than ops out of Little Creek or Haditha Dam. They need to either suck up the pride and make a phone call to SBT-22 or get some leadership out on site surveys to see the playgrounds they will have to deal with.  It's harsh but, it's reality. They are becoming another MRF if they dont adapt to the topography in a global sense. The MRF was purpose built for one place at one time. The success of it in Vietnam was also its downfall in the future. You gotta have at least one Mississippi sized river to make it work.

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

Seafox

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

Seafox
This is the first photo I've seen of the USN C-90...note extra weapons stations

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

DeltaSIx
 Looks substatially shorter that the above photo. A step in the right direction as far as Mobility is concerned

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

Mr.C
Mobility in the water is no problem, directional jets lets you turn on the spot.
Iv´e driven one of these for a couple of minutes, and experiensed what a skilled driver can achieve first hand.
The ability to stop on a few meters from 43knots is just awesome.

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

leesea
I believe the recent photo is in fact the CB-90 demo boat which the USN bought about a year ago.   Here is a sketch of the SafeBoats US version
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

leesea
here is a photo of the USN version RCB on the James River.  Note tubes like on a RHIB

Here is another photo of RCB
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

leesea
Now here a photo of what I think is the demo boat in new paint scheme (but without bulges) on the Cape Fear River

LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

DeltaSix
 Mr C.
   Having experiance with jet-drives myself, I have no doubt concerning the manueverability of the craft. By mobility, I'm refering to how can this boat be transported? Im sure it can be lifted by an amphib as well as being trailerable (I would hope!. Can it be air lifted and by what? Air mobility is a key factor in getting downrange quickly. The size and weight of the boat directly effects the size of the aircraft that moves it. The smaller the aircraft, the smaller the airfield required to service the aircraft. AO's far upstream generally have rudimentary airfields.  Sometimes you can transit up river...Sometimes.
   My AO was Latin America. If NECC wants to deploy there, they must understand the lay of the land and overcome many of these many issues. Even the difference between say, Puerto San Jose, Guatemala and Puerto Carreno, Columbia is vast. I'e been to both. NECC has been to Puerto San Jose. I know the lay of the land.  I just hope they understand that stretch of coastline and its access to a deep port and large airfield isnt the sole knowledge that they are basing newer craft on.

[...]

Seafox
The boat is only as good as the crew... HA!

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

DeltaSix
   Whew! At least the flag wavin'aint the stars and bars!

Have A Fine, Swedish Navy Day!

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

leesea
hey D6 can you transfer your comments above about NECC into either NECC or New Wars section?  that way they kind of follow the others posts, ok?
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP
CBD

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

CBD
As far as transportation goes: C-17s seem to do it.

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

Seafox
Mobility again... fly them with C-17s true... Most combatant craft now are "airmobile" The problem comes  getting them from the airfield to launch in the rivers. I seem to recall the same problem arose with PBRs and MATCs.
Getting them from airfield to launching in the rivers. That's the problem takes allot of pre-planning and advance parties to survey roads and launch sites and smooth the way..... even adminstratively. Advance parties are worth their weight in gold.

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

leesea
historically the Vietnam PBRs were lifted over in LSD wet wells.  Later I think Mk2s were sealifted in??

CB-90 being flown anywhere is tough partially because of their sheer size, but also becuase airlfit is expensive and not always available. Then we get to the problems Seafox noted.

I still think a mothership (not necessarily an amphib) at the river's mouth is the desired means of deployment.
LCDR SWO MTS all retd now PBR-FVA VP

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

Seafox
 This a  logistical problem for the Riverines on how they will deploy in the future....
 a USN Ship is too expensive unless deploying a whole Squadron. Sending a Detachment of 2 to 4 boats with associated equipment by ship..the mission better have high priority.. or by aircraft expensive and add on logistic requirements.
 a possible solution is a smaller contract ship from MSC about the size of a oil platform ship that has the draft to sail up larger rivers from the sea and launch near striking range of the boats to their A.O.

Re: Swedish CB-90 Combat Boat

leesea
I did not mean to infer a commissioned ship was the preferred type of mothership.  NSW units are currently supported by MSC chartered OSVs.  Riverines could likewise be supported from a chartered ship at not much more than day charter hire.  OR they cuould be supported from a naval auxiliary which would take some time and money but not as much as a warship.  The MSC Fleet Tugs hve done such in the past.  See photo attached.

Submarine And Special Warfare Support Ships
"MSC operates seven chartered submarine and special warfare support ships for the Navy. Two ships provide deep submergence/salvage support and submarine/escort rescue assistance for the Navy's submarine forces. Two ships support the Naval Special Warfare Command. Four other ships were chartered in 2007 to support the Navy's submarine escort requirements while entering and leaving ports."

Either or the above options, get the unit short or long term support near where needed.

goto these links:
http://www.msc.navy.mil/inventory/ships.asp?ship=63