Unmanned Patrol Boat

Delta Six
    I was watching the Military Channel's Top 10 unmanned military platforms. Suprise, Suprise! There is a boat called the protector that was being lauded over by none other than our old freind, RADM Worthington. Remotely operated with all the optical goodies and a 7.62 MG. The Admiral was mentioning a selling point by stating that  the most dangerous time was just prior to an insertion and that this boat would help eliminate some danger to sailors.
   Not sure I buy that one since, guess what? real guys will be inserted and, if the robot gets caught going in ahead of time, the mission is blown anyway.
   Went to the Protector Boat company site and it didnt mention it online.

   Thoughts?

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Seafox
 The Unmanned boat in Riverine/Coastal Warfare/NSW for me has limited mission roles.
Riverine Warfare
I can see sending it up river at night in a Hostile A.O. before sending River Patrols that are to be established there.
Intell and recon has its uses.
It could be used to hep find Booby trapped areas in the A.O. when a River Assualt is schedualed there.
All this when the element of surprize is not a factor.

Coastal Warfare...Harbor Patrol and anchorages
 Recon/Itell gathering Hostile shorelines IF secrecy is not a issue.

Special Warfare.... Put a charge on it and run it into its target and Blow them up!.

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Seafox
Protector  built by Israel

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Delta Six
  Real limited use. I think best suited for harbor patrol and perhaps swimmer detection or inshore mine warfare. It sure would  release humans from the more mundane duties associated with overt patrolling. As I recall your right about the Israeli manufacture. I beleive they even mentioned mission modules for the boat.

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Noob
If it's israeli built why does it say BAE systems on the side?

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Seafox
 Actually if you look further down the side you will see its Maker Rafel of Israel
This photo you see is the Demonstrator model that Rafel teamed up with BAE and Lockeed Martin as a demonstrator to the USN on its Capabilities in 2006

The Only users  right now of the Protector Now are Israel and Singapore.

The Only users  right now of the Protector Now are Israel and Singapore.

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Seafox

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Chuck Hill
I would like to see the Coast Guard get some of these to extend the radar horizon of our cutters. You could run them parallel to the cutter about 30 miles on either side and sweep a much larger area. Theoretically you could use manned boats, but keeping a crew in an open boat for 24 hours at a time is just cruel.

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Seafox
Brit SBS gets USV for Special Operations it will be interesting to see how employed.

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Seafox
SBS USV called Silver Marlin

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Seafox
For the Royal Marine SBS to get a Boat like this tells me there so very interesting Maritime Special Warfare thinking going on.

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Dr Robert ML Baker jr
check out my unmanned boat HEATS  -- send me your email.
drrobertbaker@gravwave.com

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Seafox
 any Info on this craft?

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Seafox

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Seafox
 Need ID on Craft and NO It didn't make it LOL

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Seafox

Re: Unmanned Patrol Boat

Seafox